Welcome to the 299th edition of Android Apps Weekly and the first one of 2020! Here are the headlines from the last week:
- Android 11 might have some neat stuff. A couple of features may include the ability to take scrolling screenshots like on web pages for easier capture of more content. However, another potential feature is the ability to record video in longer than 4GB segments. We’ll learn more about Android 11 later this year but it’s nice to see Google fixing some basic problems and adding some fun features already.
- WhatsApp and Telegram had some decent updates this last week. WhatsApp now includes disappearing messages and you can click here to see how those work. Meanwhile, Telegram’s update is a bit more substantial. It includes a new theme editor, the ability to send messages when you return online, better message scheduling control, better location sharing, and support for podcasts and audiobooks.
- The Pixel Launcher is experiencing some weird problems. Namely, the launcher may not display an icon or two on your home pages or app drawer. The app doesn’t disappear or anything and the name is still there. However, its icon space is blank and that makes things look a bit goofy. Google is aware of the problem, though, and it should get a fix soon.
- Video streaming was one of the biggest things of the last decade. We took a dive in to see who the big players are and what impact they had on how we view TV and movies. Of course, Hulu, Netflix, and Disney+ are all there and it turns out that these services are killing the cable TV industry. Of course, the constant fragmentation of options is also driving piracy up, but those are the breaks. Hit the link to learn more.
- We also looked at the best and most iconic Android apps and games of the last ten years. You’ll find old favorites like Nova Launcher and Monument Valley along with some forgotten treasures like Swype Keyboard and The Bard’s Tale. We wanted to not only see apps and games that were popular, but also helped sculpt the modern mobile experience. You can read the apps version here and the games version here.